The Kolowrat Theatre
Owing to the exceptional generosity and patronage of the Kolowrat-Krakowski family, the National Theatre can make use of the Kolowrat Theatre, the venue at which Drama productions are most frequently performed, yet Opera and Ballet shows occasionally take place there too.
Taking place concurrently with the reconstruction of the Estates Theatre was renovation of the adjacent Early Baroque Kolowrat Palace, which has served as the Theatre’s operational building for a long time. Its beautiful façade was created in 1697 according to a design by Giovanni Domenico Orsi. Concealed behind it is the largely intact original two-wing monumental palace layout, which during its reconstruction was restored by removing the later degrading construction modifications. At the present time, the building houses the administration and dramaturgy of the Drama section, as well as rehearsal rooms.
Following a sensitive refurbishment, the spacious attic with its beautiful, largely preserved original truss allowed for the origination of an inspiring space utilisable not only as the Drama’s rehearsal room, but also as the “Kolowrat Theatre”, serving for staging chamber plays primarily based on concentrated dramatic work. The Kolowrat Theatre launched its activity on 2 December 1991 with the premiere of Felix Mitterer’s Visiting Hours.
At the present time, the National Theatre has guaranteed use of the premises at the KolowratPalace and the OperationsBuilding of the Estates Theatre until 2013. The National Theatre and the Kolowrat-Krakowski family concluded a new Agreement on 5 March 2008 that will make it possible for the most significant Czech stage to make use of these buildings until that time for a symbolic payment of one Czech crown (CZK) a year. The Kolowrat-Krakowski family has thus confirmed their long-time position as one of the greatest patrons and champions of Czech culture.